Hey friends, Thanks for being awesome and always trusting in God. I miss you all a lot and am SOSO glad to hear from you!! I even got to hear from more people from the ward this week (thanks amber and susan!!) and some random people i don’t even know who found my blog! haha (wuddup, Devan) It’s really nice to hear people respond to the experiences I’m having. I like hearing the different perspectives, so thank you. Really. 🙂 So to be honest, hahahaha, this week really wasn’t much better at all. BUT I am staying positive! I know EVERYTHING has its own time and place and right now I am meant to be experiencing what I’m experiencing. Trials help us grow stronger and trust in God more.
Here are three things I learned this week:
1. I can change anything I want about myself. Anything. 2. The Atonement is beautiful and the most precious gift I have in life. 3. I am NOT perfect, but God has given me weaknesses to be humble and learn to be better.
I have seen the theme “I can change” in everything. Really. In scriptures i read, in talks i studied, in lessons I taught, in talks this sunday…everywhere. And I know Heavenly Father is speaking to me through all of this.
I read the talk in an 1982 Ensign by Elder Holland called “Cuando esteis angustiados”…i don’t know what it is in English. But it is SO. POWERFUL.
We. Can. Change.
(mom, please attach this talk if you can find it)
Something he said in the talk, that I really liked, is that we can’t just say “that’s just how i am!” as an excuse. We become the people we want to be, and we mold ourselves through influences around us, through our thoughts, and through the actions and choices we make. If we don’t want to be a certain way, WE DON’T HAVE TO. I had heard that a million times before my mission but this time it really hit me how true it is. It may seem hard, but it’s not. If you want to change something about yourself, I think this is the way to go about it:
1. Decide what you want to change.
2. Plan how you can achieve that attribute.
3. Actively think about the change you want to make throughout the day.
4. Find opportunities throughout your day that allow you to exercise the attribute you want.
5. Pray. Pray. Pray. Plead the help of your Heavenly Father. He listens, and He will help you.
6. Avoid influences of things in your everyday life that will influence you to act against the change you want to make. (ex: tv shows, music, friends, activities…etc)
7. Write down your goals. Make them achievable. Make the reasonable. Make them small and slowly work towards something bigger.
8. Study the scriptures. When we study how Christ was and how prophets were and how even though they went through a million different circumstances, but still came out on top–you can apply it to your life. You also allow the Holy Ghost to enter into your heart and HEAL it as you read the scriptures. Scriptures truly have healing power, I testify that to be true. You also feel God’s love stronger, and sometimes that’s the only thing that can get you through the day…keep you pushing forward…knowing that someone loves you. And that “someone” is the Allpowerful God. A perfect being. And He is perfectly pleased with an imperfect child of His…as we are striving to be better, He is up in the Heaven smiling down on us, cheering us on.
“You can tell God how big your storm is, or you can tell your storm how big your God is.”
Think about that. Don’t let your trials drain your confidence. Let them humble you, work on what you need to work out, and come out stronger. You are BLESSED with trials and weaknesses, so take advantage of those life lessons and come out stronger. Take everything to God. He knows ALL and He knows better than man how to deal with those hard life situations. The more you trust in God, the more you will be happier in life and see the blessings he has given you. I promise you that.
This week, if there is one thing I want you all to get from my email, it’s that we can change anything. And change comes through trusting in God, doing the right thing–and I mean the thing that will truly bring you ETERNAL happiness in life–, and taking action. Don’t put off changing anything until the summer. Or until your birthday. Or until Christmas. Or until Easter…change it now. Or you will always procrastinate it. Change is something that comes with time, and that time must start now so you can develop that change and be happier sooner. Love your God, trust in your God, and focus on what is most important in life. I know that each and every one of us goes through rough times, but YOU CAN CHANGE IT. Either trials come our way because we are doing things that aren’t in line with what God wants us to do, or we need to learn something and grow from it.
An old proverb says that the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. Take that advice, apply it, and search out your blessings through turning to God. I love you all so much and wish you all the best in life. Stay happy, Stay loyal, and keep bettering yourself each day. Even Jesus Christ, the Son of God, had to go through trials in order to be perfect. He was spit upon, beat upon, whipped, mocked, rebuked, tempted, falsely accused, and even crucified…and now He is even more perfect than He was when he first came to this Earth. Because He was able to go through all of that, experience everything and i mean EVERYTHING we have ever or will ever experience in life–and then He experienced his own trials on top of that–and at the end of his life, he still pleaded the forgiveness for the people that crucified Him. He remained humble being the king of kings, and He loved those who hated Him.
I pray that we all be more like Him. Love those who hate you, and overcome the trials you’re given and be stronger. Be stronger and wiser than you are now and learn from the experiences your Heavenly Father has blessed you with. He knows we need them to be stronger. So be thankful for the trials you’re given and keep your chin up, knowing you have a Heavenly Father who loves you and a brighter future ahead.
I love you all! Cuidense mucho, ya? Con toda mi corazon,
Hermana Dunne! :}
ps–Can anyone tell I got sunburnt today?? -__- Lobster status. Hope I boosted the self confidence of all of you. hahahhaha. really though. Take care!
Here is the link to the talk by Elder Holland https://www.lds.org/liahona/1982/01/for-times-of-trouble?lang=eng